The Q&A Archives: Golden wonder senna leaves falling off

Question: I have two golden wonder sennas in front of my home [northern exposure]...they were planted a few months ago. They are both flowering beautifully, but one of them is losing almost all of it's leaves and some of the bare branches are turning brown and are getting dead looking. I turned off the sprinkling system and only water them once a week now. Is there anything I can do for this struggling plant? Should I trim off the dead looking wood? Will it fill out again next Spring or have I killed it??!!!

Thank you for your help!

PS I have several of your first love gardenias as well as one of your grafted tree gardenias....they are spectacular and so easy to keep looking good!

Answer: At this point, I'd just leave the sickly senna alone. It may resprout once the root system recovers. Since they're both flowering, the leaf loss is probably a sign of stress. Now that you've turned off the water system, the ailing plant may have a chance to recover. I'd wait until spring, when new growth begins, to assess the situation. At that time you can prune away any branches and stems that are obviously dead.

Glad you like your gardenias!

Best wishes with your landscape!