The Q&A Archives: Premature Harvest of Shallots

Question: I had a large amount of shallots winter over. I dug them up <br>laid them on the ground to dry. Can I dry them out and replant them this year? They currently have roots and green tops. I dug them out on 2-8-98. How long do I have to dry them out? Also when should I have harvested them? Could I have harvested them in the Fall and kept them in a dry place over the winter and them planted them in March?

Answer: Fall is the time to harvest your shallots. At this point, their spring growth has been interrupted, and if they dry out, they'll die. I'm not sure if you can save them, but it may be worth a try - place them back in the soil, and they should at least produce tops that you can use like scallions. For the correct order of operations, see