The Q&A Archives: Potted Endless Summer - Pruning

Question: Hi,

I have a 2 year old Endless Summer Hydrangea in a container on my patio (14th floor). It does very well most of the time.

Its Dec 3rd, and our weather has been crazy in November. Most of the plant is bare but at the tips of the new growth are green buds. Some have turned black though (We had a week of very mild weather followed by a day or so of 70 degrees, now to be followed by 30-40 degree. We're now going into winter.) Some of the branches are very tall (2-2.5 ft) and I'm worried about them breaking once we start getting ice and snow.

I'm wondering if I should prune it now so that the branches don't break in the winter. What will this do to next years blooms? If I do prune, how far back? Also, at some point I do want to cut it back because its too big.

Also, should I wrap it/cover it for winter? Last year I just left it alone and it was fine, but the branches weren't as long.