The Q&A Archives: Will Millettia reticulata do well on an East-facing wall?

Question: Hi there,

I would like to cover an approximately 9' x 12' East-facing wall, and as much of the 20 x20 ft. roof of my somewhat dilapidated garage with Mellettia Reticulata. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Will it do well in this location? How vigorous is this plant and how much of the garage should I expect to be covered with this plant's growth tendencies?

If this isn't a good candidate, could you possibly identify another vigorous evergreen vine that would complement the adjacent row of bamboo?

thank you

Answer: I think you've made the right choice! If you've got a strong trellis or support and a hankering to grow an unusual vine, consider Millettia reticulata, also known as evergreen wisteria. An Asian native hardy to zone 9, Millettia is a sun-lover that forms rope-like woody stems and has wisteria-like foliage. The flowering show peaks in mid-spring, but additional blooms may appear later in the growing season. Flowers are mildly (and oddly) fragrant, with a camphor-like essence. This plant will grow about 15' high and 3-6' wide. While it grows best in full sun, it will tolerate some shade. I'd give it a try!