The Q&A Archives: Podocarpus

Question: I need to know whether podocarpus has an invasive root system. I have several trees close to my swimming pool and have heard that the roots can crack the cement. Is this true?

Doreen Lewin

Answer: Podocarpus macrophyllus (yew podocarpus) is a slow growing 40-50? evergreen tree that branches low to the ground and produces leathery lance shaped leaves. It has found extensive use as a semi-formal hedge (best appearance if hand pruned) admired for the dark green foliage and dense growth. An added advantage, Podocarpus has non-invasive roots so it can be planted close to a sidewalk, and appears to resist wind damage. It will grow on a range of moist but free draining soils, preferring those that are slightly acidic. Organic mulch is beneficial, both conserving soil moisture and slowly enriching the soil. I don't think you'll have problems with the roots near your pool.