The Q&A Archives: My Meyer Lemon Tree is losing leaves

Question: My Meyer Improved Lemon tree has spider mites, will it survive? I sprayed it with a product recommended for indoor use and it continues to drop leaves. I have it indoors for the winter because I live in Seattle.

Answer: You didn't say what you sprayed your citrus tree with - if it is oil-based, it may have suffocated the leaves. The general recommendation for treating any insect infestation is to make sure both the targeted insect and the plant are listed on the label - not all insecticides are safe to use on all plants. If what you used was recommended for spidermite control on citrus, all should be well. As for the leaf drop, it could simply be coincidental; a reaction to the drier air and lower light levels your lemon tree is experiencing indoors. Keep it well watered and in the brightest spot possible, away from drafts, and it should regrow foliage. Enjoy!