The Q&A Archives: Weed Control

Question: I have a fairly large yard and most of it is growing with a weed similar to bermuda. I really want to rid a portion of the lawn of this horrible stuff so that I can plant some other things. Any suggestions other than round-uping everything?

Answer: A vegetation killer similar to Round-Up is a fairly extreme measure to control unwanted plants. There's a corn meal based herbicide called Scythe that is a contact herbicide, and much easier on the environment. It's available through Gardens Alive! (812) 537-8650 Their address is 5100 Schenley Pl., Lawrenceburg, IN 47025.<br><br>Another approach is to till the area and remove the plants and their roots. It's labor-intensive, but very effective. Once you've removed the weeds, add a layer of organic matter such as compost, aged manure, peat moss or leaf mold and till it into the planting bed. Your new plants will thrive in such a carefully prepared garden spot!