The Q&A Archives: indian laurel fig, ficus microcarpa (natida)

Question: the tree mentioned is in front of my house. it has dropped for weeks now some sort of berry which is very messy, stains the side walk, gets in the soles of shoes etc. the same tree on other streets in my neighborhood 'dont' drop anything. The arborist for city of Redondo said, 'its a female tree'. He said he was going to research to see if theres a remedy. is there something that can be done to stop the berries growing prior to them maturing?. other than cut it down as its about 55 years old and its a nice tree. but the berries for a month straight are miserable. any help would be appreciated.
thank you....Joe Henson

Answer: The only way to stop the berries from dropping is to either prune the tree immediately after flowering, or hire an arborist to spray with a chemical to stop fruit production. This is routinely done on olive trees and is generally safe for both the tree and the environment. Wish I had an easier solution for you!