The Q&A Archives: Pepper Plants

Question: In my garden I have trouble growing nice bell pepers, especially yellow ones. My questions are: 1) is it a good idea to plant sweet bell peppers next to tomato plants? 2) Any suggestions on why my crop of yellow peppers would be less than that of green sweet bell peppers?

Answer: Planting peppers next to tomatoes shouldn't cause a problem for either crop. Their cultural needs are the same - full sunshine and ample water during the growing season. Some pepper varieties take a long season to mature, so perhaps you've started yours too late in the season. Why not try a shorter season variety such as Burpee's "Orange Belle Hybrid". Shepherd's Garden Seeds, 30 Irene St., Torrington, CT 06790 (860) 482-3638 carries the Hungarian "Sweet Banana" pepper that ripens in just 52 days.