The Q&A Archives: brepo austrian pine

Question: the tag that came with this tree lists it as a patio tree
I have planted it in the ground according to instructions on the tag
and it is alive but some of the branches have turned brown may 1/4th to 1/3rd of the plant the rest is doing excellent it was planted here on 2/13/06 can you suggest anything I should or should not do to keep it over the winter I live in zone 7a thanks ca

Answer: Pines normally drop some of their needles every year, so if you are seeing browning or yellowing of only older needles at the center and/or lower part of the plant then it is probably the normal seasonal change. If the discoloration is toward the ends of the branches, however, it could be a pest or disease problem or possibly a cultural problem (eg planted too deeply, soil not well drained enough, not in full sun, etc.) If you think it is abnormal, I would suggest you consult with your local county extension and/or professionally trained nurseryman to obtain a more specific identification of the problem. Based on knowing that, they can help you determine how to proceed.