The Q&A Archives: Trouble with Cyclamen Plant

Question: I received a beautiful Cyclamen Plant from a local florist. It was fine for a week or so, then suddenly wilted and died. What is wrong? Is it a bulb? Can it re-sprout?

Answer: Florist cyclamen plants are not easy to grow under home conditions. Too often they quickly collapse just as yours did, usually in response to stress caused by too warm household temperatures, low indoor humidity, over watering, and the abrupt change in environment during the retail process and being moved away from the ideal growing conditions at the grower's greenhouse.

These are tubers; they do go dormant and would ordinarily undergo a rest period and then resprout. Since your plant wilted so abruptly, it may not be possible to save it and rebloom it.

Here is some general care information you may find interesting. You may need to cut and paste the complete url to make it work correctly.

I hope this helps.