The Q&A Archives: pollinaton of apples and pears

Question: I have a granny smith apple tree and an asian pear tree, I read in on the net that they need an other tree to pollinaze this trees, which is the best apple tree to polinize my granny smith apple tree, and which is the best tree for my asian pear? Thank you

Answer: Granny Smith is considered self-fertile so another apple tree is not necessary for your Granny Smith to bear fruit. However, it will bear more heavily if there's an apple tree in the area that blooms at the same time. If there are no other apple trees in your neighborhood, you might consider planting a Jonathan or Braeburn apple tree for a heavier yield.

Most Asian pears are self-fertile but another variety of Asian or European pear will increase the yield. Asian pears tend to bear heavily so you may not need another pear tree for a good yield. I'd wait to see how it does as it matures.

Best wishes with your fruit trees!