The Q&A Archives: Plants in Arizona

Question: I have some questions on some of the trees and plants that are able to grow here. Can you answer me if the following plants will do okay in Phoenix...
Noell Grevillea, or any other Grevellea species
Mexican Red Bud Tree
Dwarf Eastern White Pine
Japanese Black Pine
Columnar Eastern White Pine
Plum Passion Heavenly Bamboo
Arcadia and Youngstown Andorra Juniper
Blue Pyramid Cypress
Dwarf Pampass Grass
Equisetum Hyemale
Scarlett Bottlebrush Tree
Shamel Ash Tree
Mimosa Tree

A client of mine would like to grow a Zen Garden and these are some plants that would look nice and require less water, a big plus out here in the desert.

Answer: Thank you for asking. This Q&A service is intended to assist homeowners with their home gardening questions. Since you are a professional, I would suggest you develop working relationships with some of your local professionally trained nurserymen and also with your local county extension personnel. They should be able to help you analyze the growing conditions at a specific site and help determine which plants might thrive there, then you could select the most appropriate for your design from among those. You might also consider training as a master gardener, the Maricopa County class is forming now according to their web site. Here is the link, it should also lead you to the local extension office. You may need to cut and paste the complete url to make it work correctly in your browser.

Best of luck with all your projects!