The Q&A Archives: Planting White Seedless Grapes in the South

Question: I live in central Georgia which gets pretty hot during the summer months. I have just purchased two white seedless grape trees to plant. My question is, should these trees be planted in full sun, or should they be around some shade to keep from getting hot GA sun all day on summer days. I have some bronze scuppernongs which produce pretty well in the full sun. Am I right in thinking that the white grapes are more sensitive to hot weather than other grapes?

Answer: You are correct - white grapes are not as happy in the heat & humidity of the Deep South as your bronze muscadines, which are native to the area. Some light shade in mid-day is helpful, and consistent moisture is a must. Breeders have developed some varieties of seedless white (light green) table grapes that will produce fruit in USDA zones 7&8, such as 'Orlando Seedless' and 'Stover' (both available from Ison's Nursery & Vineyards, Brooks, GA 30205; ph# 800/723-0324). I don't know that these require shade, but I'm sure the supplier can give you details. Hope this helps!