The Q&A Archives: Raised Gardens

Question: I would like to start a raised garden, but understand that treated 4x4's may cause harm to my soil/plants. What is recommended to frame my garden, I live in new england, and plan to grow vegetables and herbs.

Answer: There are many different materials you could use to create a raised bed. Your choice may depend in part on the look you want it to have, your budget, and how high you want the bed to be. You can make a raised bed about six inches tall without a formal edging at all, if you wish. Otherwise you can use redwood or cedar or the new plastic wood (such as Trex) or you can use ordinary wood which will last a number of years if sealed. You could use tree limbs staked into place. You could use cinder blocks, lanscaping blocks, stones collected from your property, or recycled chunks of concrete. I hope this gives you some ideas. Enjoy your garden!