The Q&A Archives: Myer Lemon Tree

Question: I received a Monrovia Meyer Lemon tree for my birthday in March of 2006. It has been doing well on my patio deck. I brought it inside when the weather got colder and since the leaves have been falling off. I checked carefully and noticed aphids so I sprayed. It doesn't seem that the aphids are prolific any more, but the leaves continue to drop. My poor little tree is almost bald and I don't know what to do. I spent 15 years on a fruit ranch in San Diego, California, where we grew Meyer Lemon trees. I have never seen this happen to those trees, but those trees have never been potted or indoors. Please help!

Thank you

Answer: Meyer Lemon is a good choice for container growing and it sounds like you are doing things right. It's possible it was chilled prior to coming indoors and is reacting badly to the overly warm indoor air as a result. These trees need to be kept as bright as possible during the winter but also quite cool, preferably no warmer than about 55 to maybe 60 degrees. Raising the humidity indoors can help. Here are some tips on growing container citrus indoors that you may find helpful. YOu may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

Good luck with your tree!