The Q&A Archives: Pruning

Question: We planted our new tree last 1.5 years ago as a new tree in our front yard. It is now about 17-20 feet high and the base of the tree is about 8-10 inches in diameter. It gets full sun and seems to be doing very well.
I'm noticing that alot of the limbs are somewhat small and fairly long in lenght and I am wondering if I should be pruning it for the first time this winter.
If so, I'm not sure how to do it etc.
Can you advise!
Thank You,
Mickey Sullivan

Answer: You didn't say what type of tree you're growing so I can only give general suggestions. Prune early this spring, just as new growth begins. You can shorten the branches by one-third to encourage a thick, dense canopy. Some trees look gawky in youth but develop into grand specimens as they age. Since your tree is fast-growing, you'll want to help the basic canopy structure be thick and sturdy by shortening the branches which will force new growth in the center of the canopy.

Best wishes with your landscape!