The Q&A Archives: Ilex- Which One?

Question: Hi there,
My neighbor and I have finally agreed on a hedge plant that we can both live with...Can you recommend an Ilex that can tolerate our Livermore temps (110F - 25F)and alkaline soil? Not so high (6-8 ft)and narrow (3-4 ft), Full sun, Moderate growth, red berries, dense, dark green foliage-you know, the classic Christmas look...Thanks much, Terry

Answer: For a traditional holly plant, with a pyramidal shape and lots of red berries, you might consider LITTLE RED? HOLLY (Ilex x 'Coned'), or NELLIE R. STEVENS HOLLY
(Ilex x 'Nellie R. Stevens'). This is one of the most attractive of all hollies. It's a vigorous grower with dense branches, and it makes an excellent tall screen. Bears abundant, large, bright orange-red berries that add dashes of color to the lustrous, dark evergreen foliage. Creates an impressive statement in the landscape when planted in groups, used as a large background plant or specimen. Male Chinese hollies are useful planted nearby as pollenizers. Full to partial sun. Evergreen. Strong growth 15 to 20 feet tall and 10 feet wide.

Best wishes with your new hedge!