The Q&A Archives: Pruning & Moving Instructions

Question: I live in Southwest Michigan and have a Japanese Honeysuckle, am I suppose to prune it, or can I even prune it? The trellis I have it on is falling over and I need to put a new trellis in in the spring, so can I cut it back now or should I wait? Also, I gave my friend who is moving to Florida a shoot last spring,she is moving in the winter, how should she transport it? Dig up & put it in a pot, or dig out plant and have her leave it dormant and put in a pot in the spring?

Answer: Honeysuckle can and should be pruned back hard to encourage healthy new growth. If you don't prune, you'll eventually have a plant with bare lower stems and lots of new growth on top. I'd wait to prune until spring, when new growth begins, and just as you're replacing the trellis. You'll be rewarded with healthy new growth and lots of blooms next summer.

The cutting should be potted up and left in the garden until it's time for the move.

Best wishes with your honeysuckle.