The Q&A Archives: vft dormancy

Question: hi, I have my flytrap in our fridge and it has been there for quite some time. I thought the leaves and traps were supposed to rot and the bulb would stay alive. Mine,which is fairly young,has not lost any leaves or traps but has just stopped growing.Does this still mean that it is still resting?

Answer: There's a 3 month dormancy or resting period required for your plant. The fact that it has stopped growing is a good indication that it is resting. The leaves and traps may remain or they may fall off; it depends upon how old they are. Wait the required 3 months and then bring the plant back into normal light and household temperatures. You may find that the old foliage will fall off at that time and new shoots will appear from the roots. Best wishes with your venus fly trap!