The Q&A Archives: bougenvillas

Question: How and when do I propagate bougenvillas?

Answer: Zeneida,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Bougainvilleas can be propagated from cuttings taken from new growth in early summer just as the growth begins to age a bit (not so tender anymore). Take 4-5 inch cuttings and remove the lower leaves. Then dip in rooting hormone and stick in moist perlite or half and half perlite with peat. Cover with a clear cover to hold in moisture. Keep in bright area out of direct sunlight.

You can also start a new plant by tip layering it (bending a branch until it cracks and then putting the cracked section beneath the soil or potting media until it roots).

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!