The Q&A Archives: Sedums

Question: My sedum plants are starting to sprout. This is about 2 months early and it's probably due to the mild winter that we've had here. Regardless of which way the remaining part of winter goes, will my plants survive?<br><br>

Answer: Plants take their direction from Mother Nature, and respond to longer days and warmer temperatures by poking up their heads to soak up that sunshine. If your sedums have begun to grow, spring can't be too far behind! You can protect individual plantsagainst overnight freezes by covering them with milk jugs (with the bottoms cut out), paper hotcaps, or even an inverted plastic pot. Be sure to remove the covers in the daytime, especially when the sun is out, or you'll cook the poor guys. Sedum is fairly hardy. Even if these early sprouts are killed back by frost, the plant will generate more when the weather warms up.