The Q&A Archives: Lemon Tree pollinating and transplanting

Question: I bought a Monrovia Lemon Tree from Portland Nursery last spring. It was one of the largest they sell. It is inside for the winter. It has 8 large lemons that are yellowing now and has some new blooms. How does it pollinate? Do I need to do anything? This is
time to transplant according to a question I ask you last October. Would transplanting it now cause any problems with the blooming and pollinating, or the ripeness of the fruit?

Answer: Since your tree is indoors in a controlled environment, transplanting now should not affect it in an adverse manner. Just make the transfer as quickly as possible into pre-moistened potting soil and be sure to water well after the move to help settle the soil and drive out any air pockets around the roots. Insects generally transfer pollen from one flower to another. Since your tree is indoors, you can either transfer pollen with an artist's paintbrush (visit each open flower as an insect might do), or you can sharply tap each flowering branch to help the ripe pollen drop from the male to the female parts of the flower.

Enjoy your lemons!