The Q&A Archives: vft dormancy

Question: hi, I have a very young venus flytrap that has been in our fridge for about a month and a half. I am obviously trying to put it into dormancy but it has only stopped growing.the foliage is not dying and it seems to be perfectly healthy.Sinse it is young should I take it out of the fridge and try dormancy next year?

Answer: There's a 3 month dormancy or resting period required for your plant. The fact that it has stopped growing is a good indication that it is resting. The leaves and traps may remain or they may fall off; it depends upon how old they are. Wait the required 3 months and then bring the plant back into normal light and household temperatures. You may find that the old foliage will fall off at that time and new shoots will appear from the roots. Don't remove the plant from the fridge until it's been in there for 3 months. At that time, bring it back into normal room temperatures and light. Best wishes with your venus fly trap!