The Q&A Archives: moon flower

Question: Could you please send me a pictuer of a moon flower. I got some seeds from a friend and know nothing about them. thank you

Answer: Ipomoea alba, otherwise known as Moonflowers are so called because they bloom in the evening. They have large 4 to 6 inch fragrant, white or pink flowers on twining vines. The flowers open quickly in the evening and last through the night, remaining open until touched by the morning Sun.

Moonflowers grow to a height of about 15 feet. The leaves are rather large which allows the plant to be used as an annual in a northern garden. Propagation is usually by seed. The seed should be nicked with a file and then soaked overnight before planting.

I can't provide a photo of a moonflower, but if you visit the following website, you'll see a beautiful picture: