The Q&A Archives: How can I bring my swedish ivy plant back to life?

Question: I have a swedish ivy plant, that was doing beautiful when it was outside. I brought it in and have it hanging in my basement, which is like a living room, but its leaves are getting lighter and dried up. What should I do?

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what is affecting your plant. These do best with bright indirect light and high humidity and also good air circulation, so you may need to adjust one of those factors. You might also check it for signs of insects, which sometimes become apparent during the winter. For instance, if you find fine webbing along the stem or underside of the leaves then there is a problem with spider mites. These can be rinsed off with a spray of water twice a week, or treated with commercially formulated insecticidal soap per the label directions. You might also consider taking a photo of the overall plant and a sample affected leaf to your local county extension to see if they can give you a more specific diagnosis and based on knowing that, suggest what to do. Good luck with your plant!