The Q&A Archives: northeast region poinsettias outdoors

Question: Even though I'm in mid-Atlantic region, my home on a mountain has a northeast climate. I rescued 20 poinsettias of different sizes & colors & want to plant them outside. The area is heavily shaded and ferns grow well in my yard. How do I care for them & what exposure is best?

Answer: Unfortunately, poinsettis will not survive freezing weather and so can not be grown as landscape plants in Pennsylvania. If you wish to keep them from year to year, you can grow them as houseplants indoors during the winter. In the summer, when all danger of frost has passed, you can set them outdoors (in their containers) in a location with morning sun or bright dappled light all day. In mid September, bring them indoors again. I hope this helps.