The Q&A Archives: Evergreen or deciduous?

Question: I need to choose a low border shrub for a foreground planting in the sun. I was looking at your rosa x noamel' appleblossom. Is this evergreen or deciduous. the only mention made is in the seasonal interest catagory under winter it states that the plant has- none! please advise. thanks, Jane

Answer: The carpet rose rosa x noamel appleblossom is semi-evergreen, meaning it will retain its old leaves during the winter months but they will be shed when new growth begins in the spring. If you're looking for something that's truly evergreen, with spring and summer flowers, you might consider jasmine or star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides). Either will work well as an evergreen groundcover and the flowers they produce are extremely fragrant.

Best wishes with your landscape!