The Q&A Archives: Wet Soil

Question: I have very wet soil around my backyard area and thus far almost everythign I have planted, I have lost. I have researched Monrovia website and found what appears to be ideal solution; however, none of the Monrovia dealers can get these items because they would have to come from Oregon or somewhere - do not have at Cairo supplier. Wax myrtles are everywhere around the Savannah GA area due to the soil. It would seem a good idea to introduce something that will tolerate the soil in this area to the dealers here.

Any other ideas as to what to do???

Answer: Mary,

In wet areas you have two options: install underground drainage pipe to help remove excess water or plant things tolerant of these conditions. The first option is quite expensive and not always feasible. There are quite a few plants that like wet conditions. These include bog plants such as may be found on the following web site for pond gardens and bog plants:

It also include other plants such as Louisiana iris, Buttonbush, Virginia Sweetspire and cannas. The following web site may also be helpful: