The Q&A Archives: Wave Petunias

Question: Should I assume that the wave ground-cover petunias are annuals because they're petunias or perennials because they are a ground cover? I live in Central Florida on the border of zones 8 and 9.<br>

Answer: Some older varieties of petunias would reseed themselves year after year, but all petunias are considered annuals. The Wave Petunias on page 7 of Burpee's 1998 catalog is a beautiful, low-growing petunia that can be used as a ground cover. The greatthing about the Wave series is that you don't really need to "dead-head" them--unlike other petunias, these will keep on flowering even if you don't remove the spent blooms!<br><br>By the way, most petunias are hybrids and will not reseedthemselves true to form.