The Q&A Archives: Shrubs for security

Question: I have a low window that is very accessible and want to plant a shrub underneath it so it's not so attractive to thieves. I'm looking for something that doesn't get too tall where someone can hide behind it and also something that won't be attractive to rodents since it's right against the house. The area is on the east side of the house.

Answer: Probably one of the best choices for the area is a carpet or groundcover rose. These plants remain low (less than 2') and produce lots of thorny stems, with a bonus of seasonal color.

You might also consider planting a dwarf barberry. These plants are deciduous, but the berries and brightly colored stems look attractive during the winter months. They, too, have thorny stems.

Best wishes with your landscape!