The Q&A Archives: Is the Royal Cape Plumbago deciduous?

Question: Is the Cape Plumbago Deciduous?

I planted a few last fall. They all had some green before the recent frost, and temps in the high 20's/low 30's. They are crape myrtle look alikes now. Are they fine?

Also, are coreopsis, and my golden spirit smoke tree, fine in the same conditions?

Thank you,

Mark Louie
Roseville,CA 95661

Answer: Cape plumbago is sensitive to frost; if it freezes to the ground, cut it back to the soil and usually it comes back in the spring. I'm afraid all of your damaged perennials will need some pruning, but I'd wait until the weather warms and you begin seeing new growth. This will give you a clue as to how far back to prune; if new growth begins at the crown of the plant, cut away the dead tops to make room for new growth; if grow starts at the middle of the branch or stem, cut off the dead branch tips.

Best wishes with your garden. Hope all your plants recover nicely!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"