The Q&A Archives: Hiding pool filter/heater

Question: I am looking for the best scrubs to hide a pool filter and heater for an in-ground pool. I need something that will act as a buffer all year long and not drop its leaves in the winter. Something that will grow at least 6ft tall and can be trimmed if necessary. I need to get to the filter so it can't grow too wide. Any suggestions?

Answer: There are many different plants you could use, depending on how wide it can actually be. Most evergreens are very slow growing and will not tolerate a severe trimming or if suddenly trimmed back hard will not regrow well, so you need to plant it in a spot where it will not outgrow the space. You might find that an upright, narrow juniper would work, or an upright boxwood such as Green Tower. Another option might be to espalier a pyracantha -- this would give you a relatively flat, two dimensional effect. If you are willing to prune frequently and maintain it at a set size, one of the blue hollies might work. Your local professional nurseryman should be able to show you some suggestions and help you select the one that would fit best and serve the purpose. Enjoy your new shrubs!