The Q&A Archives: hibiscus & princess flower

Question: I have 2 hibiscus plants and 2 princess flowers that have suffered from the freezing temperatures here in sacramento. Will my plants come back or should I prune them? I am not sure what to do. Please advise. Thank you for your time.

Answer: Although the plants may look pathetic, resist the urge to prune them now. They may not be as damaged as they first appear. Wait another 2-3 weeks before doing any pruning; when new growth begins, you may be surprised to see new leaves emerging from the entire length of the stems. If new growth does not appear all along the stems, you can prune away the winter kill to make room for new growth. Established plants will send new growth up from the roots so even if the tops totally die back, the plants should recover.

Best wishes with your landscape!