The Q&A Archives: garden planning

Question: I have to plan a very small yard(with 2 large dogs)and would like native plants, grasses, color. It gets lots of sun in the morning and early afternoon. The soil is clay. There are no trees but the neighbor kittycorner has 3 that back up to my property. Someone suggested and Autumn Maple for fall color in the grassy area, don't know if I want to mow around it but would like the color. Also thought about burning bush. Any suggestions??

Answer: Here's a link to the Colorado State University extension service website:

It has loads of information about gardening in your region, complete with a list of appropriate native plants. I think you'll find a wealth of helpful information. Best wishes with your garden!