The Q&A Archives: Otto Luyken

Question: My four Otto Luyken that I planted a little over 2 years ago look healthy, they have flowered, but do not seem to be growing in height or width. Does it take several years before the plant will start to spread out?

Answer: It can take a year or two for the root systems to become established, especially if the growing conditions aren't quite right. Once the roots become established, you should see additional growth. Since your plants are flowering, it indicates they are reasonably healthy. You can feed them this spring to help them along and then prune them slightly to encourage the development of additional stems and leaves. I'd use hedge trimmers and remove an inch or two all around each plant. This should wake them up and force them to put out new growth. Best wishes with your shrubs!