The Q&A Archives: Invasive Miscanthus?

Question: I'm a landscape architect working on a project in San Jose, CA, and would like to use several Miscanthus sinensis species. Are these considered invasive at all? The project is near a wild area.
Thank you.

Answer: Miscanthus is a tall grass reaching a height of 8 to 12 feet. The clumps bear pink flowers in late summer. It does not produce viable seed so it not invasive from that standpoint. Miscanthus sinensis is a clumping grass (rather than a running grass like bamboo). For that reason, it is not considered an invasive species. The plant will adapt to many soil types but does prefer full sun. I cannot find any reference to it being invasive, or restricted in the state of California. Several cultivars are listed: 'Gracillimus' - silvery green leaves turn bronze in winter, leaves and flowers with graceful curves, flowers reddish-pink; 'Purperescens' - reddish-bronze flowers, 3 to 4 feet tall, foliage green and reddish-purple; 'Variegatus' - flowers pale pink, greens leaves striped with white; 'Zebrinus' - flowers pale yellow, yellow bands on leaves.

Hope this information is helpful!