The Q&A Archives: zone 7a

Question: when can I plant onions, and radishes? and I want to put in a lemon, grapefruit, and lime tree what can you tell me.

Answer: Cool-season vegetables are planted in your area from mid-February through April and then again from August 10 through October 10. Citrus trees experience frost damage at 30 degrees F to 20 degrees, depending on the type. Since zone 7 winter temperatures average 0 to 10 degrees, planting citrus outdoors can be problematic, unless you have a warm microclimate or don't mind covering the plants when forecasts predict cold. You might also consider dwarf varieties in containers that can be moved into protection as needed. Check with your local Cooperative Extension office for advice on varieties that perform in your area. Good luck! Clark County, 8050 S. Maryland Pkwy., Suite 100
Las Vegas, NV 89123-0855
(702) 222-3130