The Q&A Archives: Needing Recommendations

Question: Could you recommend the following . . .
1.) I'm looking for some flowering trees (no shrubs or bush's). They can't exceed a mature height of more than 20 foot. A couple recommendations please.
2.) I'm also looking for a couple shade trees (no evergreens). They too can't exceed 20 ffet for mature height.
3.) I'm looking for shade trees (broad leaf) for my back property. There is no height limit for these but I would like a variety that didn't grow too slow. A couple recommendations please.

Thank you,

Answer: 20' is relatively small for a tree; you may be happier with a tall growing shrub and cutting off the lower branches to make it more tree-like. With that said, dogwood will grow in the area and will produce early springtime flowers. As for shade trees along the back of your property, you could include maples or Paulowina (Empress tree). Stewartia is a lower growing shade tree and hawthorns can be kept small with annual pruning. Both flower in the late spring/early summer.

Best wishes with your new trees!