The Q&A Archives: Frost Damage

Question: We had frost here about 3 weeks ago, the green bananas leaves are all brown, the red banana is sprouting two new leaves and seems to be recovering. The Elephant Ears, they look alright except for the leaaves which are brown and shrivled. Some of the princess flowers seem dead however some seem to be getting new buds. If some of the princess flowers are dead what would be a good replacement for them (same size & flower color). What should I do and when? Thank you for your help

Answer: The unusual frost has damaged all kinds of tropical and sub-tropical plants in your area. You can prune away the damaged plant parts now, and replace whole plants that have died. I'd replace the princess flowers with fresh, new princess flower plants. The freeze was abnormal and these plants should grow well for years before another frost arrives. Best wishes with your garden!