The Q&A Archives: Proper Soil For Tomatoes

Question: I bought your "Tomato Taster" kit and I don't know what sort of soil I need to buy to raise the plants on my terrace.

Answer: I love to grow tomatoes in containers and I will be happy to share my recipe with you. Amounts will depend on the size of your containers. I simply mix a few bags of potting soil, a few bags of compost (or leaf mould, or composted cow manure), a few handfuls of sand, a few handfuls of greensand or bonemeal, the recommended amount of fertilizer for whatever container I am growing in (I usually use a fertilizer specifically for tomatoes but you can use a regular 5-10-10 if you want), and voila! have soil for tomatoes! If I may, let me share a few other sure your containers are big enough, I have had the best tomato success with half whiskey barrels. Keep on top of watering, containers dry out quickly, you should try to avoid fluctuations in soil moisture. Consider a layer of mulch at the base of the tomato (I use cypress mulch).