The Q&A Archives: Golden Biota Arborvitae

Question: I live in Middleburg,Fl., and bought this Thuja from Home depot. I would like to know when is the best time to plant this in the ground and what do I need to add if anything to the sand when I do plant this thuja?

Answer: You can plant anytime the ground is not frozen. Spring is an excellent time, followed by autumn. Both seasons offer plentiful natural rainfall to help the roots become established. You can plant your Thuja in native soil or, if it doesn't drain well (or drains too well), mix in some organic matter prior to planting. Be sure to water well after planting to help settle the soil and remember to water deeply once each week (if rainfall is sparse) to help the roots become well established.

Best wishes with your landscape!