The Q&A Archives: flower seeds

Question: My question is when is the best time to plant flower seeds, and can they be planted in pots? I live in Atlanta, Ga and I am very new at gardening.

Answer: You can plant your flower seeds now and they should begin to flower in 6-8 weeks. Containers are fine. In fact, I prefer gardening in containers because I can move them around and enjoy them in the front yard or the back yard, front patio or back deck. Some keys to successful container gardening are: 1. Use large containers--small containers dry out quickly. Be sure the containers have drainage holes. 2. Use a commercial potting mix, preferably one containing some vermiculite or perlite to keep it light. 3. Be diligent about watering; keep soil moist but not soggy. Also, be sure to feed regularly with a balanced fertilizer. 4. Be sure to place the containers in a place that receives adequate sun. Most flowers need full sun.

Best wishes with your container garden!