The Q&A Archives: looking for a tree

Question: I am looking for a tree to block out a tall
building view in my back yard, but have roses too, so I don't want something too overbearing that it blocks all the sun from my roses on the opposite side of the fence. I was wondering if maybe you had any suggestions. thank you, dawn

Answer: Leyland cypress is a popular tree for screening and privacy plantings. You might also consider "Witchita Blue" or "Skyrocket" junipers. These are reasonably fast growing, upright plants. Or, American arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis) is a tall, columnar evergreen that's a natural for planting in rows for quick screening. Thuja "pyramidalis" remains only 2-3' wide at maturity. Any of these recommendations will provide tall, upright screening without blocking sun from your roses.

Best wishes with your landscape!