The Q&A Archives: What grass seed should I use?

Question: I have a very small yard, We have soded it with St. Augustine grass but it didnt take, I watered and watered it. My question is what is the best grass seed that will work, basiclly my whole front and back yard is bare! the back is completey dirt because we had a swimming pool there. The front yard has patches of grass but not a whole lot. Im looking for something that will at least look good. I live in Deland, FL what are your recommendations?

Answer: Nicole,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

St. Augustine should do well in your area. Centipede is another good option. I suggest you contact your local County Extension Office for some advice and to have a soil test done to see what the nutrient content is. The following web pages have great info on growing a lawn in Florida and can provide more help than I can give in an e-mail reply:

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!