The Q&A Archives: Moving an existing clematis

Question: I have a clematis that grows on old wood. It is now crawling up a trelis that is permanently attached to the house. My husband wants to move it to the backyard. How can this be done safely and when?

Answer: Anna,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

The best time to move any plant is in the fall, about early November. That way it has the longest time to reestablish before hot weather arrives. Spring is more risky but possible. Get as much of the roots as you can and reset it promptly at the same depth in its new location. Cut the top back by half and water the roots in well. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet for the first spring and summer period.

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!