The Q&A Archives: Pine trees

Question: I recently bought a home where there are multiple pine trees (full grown) in the front yard that shed pine needles constantly. In and around these trees are little to no grass. What would be the best type of lawn to have planted that can survive these pine needles?

Answer: Cheryl,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

That location will be tough for any grass. Bahia is a rough type grass not usually considered tame enough for lawns but useful for park like areas. Your location is a bit far north for Centipede so it would be a marginal choice. Centipede loves acid soils with low fertilizing and at least 40 inches of annual rainfall and it makes a nice lawn. St. Augustine may be your best bet or possibly a turf type tall fescue.

Your County Extension Office (Phone: (256) 737-9386) can be helpful in suggesting locally adapted options.

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!