The Q&A Archives: Cut flowers

Question: What kind of cut flowers will grow in a partial shade yard. Also, we have recently killed ivey (took two years)that covered our backyard, what type of grass and shrubs will grow in partial to full shade? I live in north Alabama.

Answer: Teresa,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

there are really not any good cut flowers for shady areas. However hydrangea although a shrub also makes a good cut flower for shady areas. St. Augustine in the best shade tolerant grass. Other groundcovers such as asian jasmine, liriope, Aztec grass (similar to liriope, and ajuga will tolerate shade. Shrubs include hydrangea, azaleas and possibly aucuba and fatsia depending on your winter cold temps.

Thanks for the question. Best wishes for a wonderful gardening year in 2007. Please stop in again soon!