The Q&A Archives: Propagating Clematis

Question: I had purchased a couple of clematis a few years ago that have thrived. I would like to increase the number of plants but have not found a good source on how to do this. Can we take cuttings? Do we "divide" in the normal sense? Can you pleaseprovide some information on this?

Answer: Propagating clematis isn't difficult, I predict success for is how it is done. Take cuttings in the summer using stem segments with one node (where a leaf stem is attached). Moisten the cut end of the stem with water, dip into a rootinghormone such as "Rootone", dust off excess powder. Place stems in moistened soilless mix, (powdered end down), and cover with transparent plastic wrap supported by stakes. Periodically check to see if new growth is appearing. When you do seenew growth, remove the plastic and transplant into separate pots. It is best to "harden off" your babies for a week or so before putting them outside in a permanent spot.