The Q&A Archives: When to Apply Herbicide to Lawn

Question: My understanding on pre-emergence herbicide is- when the forsythia's start to bud is the proper time to place your first application of herbicide. Since the weather here and everywhere has been changing with temp's in the 50-60f, natures balance has been thrown off. Just last week, I saw a Forsythia bush in bloom. Do I still have time or is it still to early to apply the herbicide?<br>

Answer: It has been an odd winter, hasn't it? We're getting all kinds of questions about premature growth spurred by the unseasonably mild weather!<br><br>The answer to your question should be on the label of the herbicide you use. Since herbicides are EPA regulated substances, full instructions are required to appear on labels. If after reading the label you have further questions, your extension agent (ph# 615/323-7173) or the herbicide manufacturer's customer service department, whose phone numbershould appear on the label as well, are best equipped to guide you. I'd also like to suggest a "kinder, gentler" herbicide than the chemicals most often used on lawns. Gardener's Supply Co. (; ph# 800/863-1700) offers a corn-gluten based herbicide that keeps weeds from sprouting, and adds nitrogen to the soil! It's called WeedzStop, and it works great. Good luck!